Sunday, March 30, 2008

four wakes


I can do four wakes in the night and be pretty cheerful in the morning, I discovered today. My nights have become a numbers game - how long has she slept? What time is it? How grouchy am I going to be tomorrow as a result? Last night's numbers were not too bad. I put her to bed at 8:30 - she woke again at 10, but I was just going to bed then, so that was OK. She then woke again at 10:30, which was a bummer, because I was just falling asleep, but then there wasn't another alarm until 2, which was great, (I found I can sleep very well sitting up nursing a 15-pound squiggling mass - I think I even kept rocking in my sleep.) She woke again at 3:30, which was annoying (1.5 hours???? Kmon, I know you can do better than that, Thea. The next wake-up call was at 5, when Matt brought her to me in bed. 5 is the earliest I will give in and let her come to the bed for a snuggle. You gotta have boundaries, right? Then she wanted to get up at 6:30ish. And believe it or not, that was OK.

I am starting to get a little worried about this working business, though. The other day I got a call from my boss last fall and indeed she is fine with me working from home this summer doing PR stuff for the borough and state on preventing wildfire damage to your home. Which is great, except now I have to fit 20-25 hours a week of work to my days (I'll make about $400 more than I do on unemployment, mind you.) On top of that, I am trying to get this WordWorks business off the ground, and then there's the freelance writing I do. So the past two days, I spent every free minute working. The house spiralled out of control and Liam looked like he wanted to disown me.

And of course, there was Thea, who hasn't been in a very good mood for several days. Are they connected? Can she tell my mind is elsewhere? Is this what she will be on the couch about later in life? Nah, it'll probably be about this crazy blog her mother wrote all about how she was a screaming peradactyl.

No comments: