Tuesday, March 11, 2008


Well, it was sure to happen one of these days. Thea got sick yesterday. And of course it was right after the first time I left her with someone - my sister - and went to the gym. She hadn't been doing very well sleep-wise and I was at the end of my rope, and Matt was in Soldotna all week, so I needed a break. And of course it was awesome. I ran and ran and ran. I ran for every time I got woken up during the night and I ran for every moment I didn't think I could make it through another day. It felt sooo good.

So I picked her up and she was crying of course, but Samantha swore she did very well. And when we got home, she started snifffing. And by dinner time, she was sniveling like a soap opera star. Last night was crazy. I'm not sure how often I nursed her, but it felt like it was pretty much the whole night. Sleeping sideways like that is getting old.
So today, I had to take the cat to the vet in the morning. I put her in a box and tied the lid on with a scarf. Good, I thought. Hah. I had to carry a ton of stuff out to the car because it was "pajama day" at preschool, so he needed blankets, pillows, etc. And I put the cat in the car, then left the door open for Liam to get in the car. And We finally all piled in the car and were backing out when I happened to touch the box and realize there was no cat in it. So back into the house to find the cat, then drove down the hill holding the box top on while the cat tried to make a break for it. Then when we got to Raspberry Lane, Liam had a meltdown over the idea of turing out the lights and pretending to sleep, so by the time I got back to the car, the cat had escaped. So I'm driving around town with this cat bouncing around the car. And of course, Thea was protesting the whole time.

Finally, I grabbed control of the situation, borrowing a cat carrier before my cat made a break for it and calling my in-town friend in desperate search of a couch for my snotty-nosed infant to nurse on. Sometimes I feel like the stereotypical frazzled soccer mom in the Halmark afternoon movies. You know the one that starts babbling to herself and swaying back and forth?
On a cool note, however, we had Thea and her buddy Kayah on their tummies and she did really well holding up her head for the first time.
Here's to hoping we get a little sleep tonight.


Anonymous said...

hey carey

hang in there. eventually they do things like (gasp, shock) sleep eleven (11) hours in a row!! (awed silence) such was the case with our little deer last night. of course, zephyr woke me up twice, but still, it was good. thea will also realise eventually that even supermama needs to sleep at night.

love a.

p.s. thanks for showing off the vest-- she looks super cute in red!

Carey James said...

Eleven hours??? Wow. I wouldn't know what to do with myself. I'd have the whole house cleaned and dinner cooked for a week, I think. As it is, the laundry piles are ominous and every toy Liam ownes has migrated to the living room. Supermama has left the building.
The vest is a big hit - warm, yet spit-up resistant. How bout that big pink thing I pulled out of my piles last week? She looked like a stick of cotton candy, but wow, was she warm. Who makes this stuff???