Sunday, January 3, 2010

new year miracles


Among the many miracles that have occurred following the return of the kids and the turning of the year, the one I am most impressed with presently is the fact that somehow, my kids are now playing with each other.

When I climbed out of the shower today, Liam had gone upstairs and got the playdough, brought it down, set Thea up with some, and started serving her "pies." "Tank Choou" Thea was saying for each one. "You're Welcome" says the Big Brother.

It is almost as if it happened overnight - but I'm sure it was more gradual than that. All of a sudden, Liam is appearing to enjoy his role as a big brother. He spent several hours playing babies with Thea last night, and also let her into his room, saying, "I think I'm starting to rethink the whole gate thing, Mom."

I don't know if it is him, or Thea's emerging verbal skills that make her more interesting. And for sure, it can't be said that they don't still fight. But at least there are some positive interactions to balance out the negative. I'm pretty excited about it. It's been a long 2 years.

Thea's 2-year-old birthday is today at Matt's house. I need to make a cake and then go in search of some dairy-free icing. But I thought I'd document this amazing development while it was occurring.

No comments: