Saturday, January 26, 2008

i hate the night


I'm posting this one-handed while nursing after yet another long, long night. I realized at around 8 p.m. the other night that despite being dog tired, I was dreading going to bed. I didn't want to face another night of nursing every hour, sometimes more, punctuated somewhere in the night by an hour or two when Thea won't sleep at all and wails or nurses or plays spit-the-binkey (my personal favorite.) So here I am at 7 a.m. having just survived another nursing marathon and I've got to say, it is pretty tough. It's now been three weeks since I've had more than three hour's sleep in a shot and I totally see why this is a torture technique.
I went to a friend's house yesterday and watched in awe as her 1-month-old happily hung out in her crib for 1/2-hour stretches. it must be something in the air there because Thea hung out on the couch for at least 15 minutes watching sun beams. She did demonstrate her true colours for everyone, though, when I changed her- doing her trademark holler-and-gag routine. Eyebrows were raised for sure.
On the plus side, I got two smiles yesterday. And the cooing is developing nicely - all signs that I gave birth to a being who will one day do more than holler, binge, poop and pass out. And her eyelashes are unfurling like fiddleheads in the spring.

No comments: