Thursday, January 1, 2009

First birthday party


Today, our house bulged at the seams and Thea, our little social butterfly, couldn't have been happier.

Since Matt is heading out of town on Saturday, we threw a party on the first instead of the fourth for our soon-to-be-one-year-old. I really had no idea how many people would show up, and didn't expect too many folks to drag themselves out of the house on New Year's Day. But at a friends house the night before, I realized there might be a few folks coming... so, I amped up the prep a bit.

Unfortunately, Matt threw his back out, so I was still prepping at 11 p.m. last night. But it was so worth it. Thea had some 30 guests come through. We had enough food for everyone, and tons of people and babies mingled together with very few conflicts. The big kids went to Liam's room and out on the hill sledding (regardless of the single-digit weather), the babies played in the living room - it was positively mellow.


We had a carrot cake and dairy-free icing, which Thea enjoyed almost as much as Liam blowing out the candle for her.


But the real miracle was Thea - who refused to nap this morning, and made it all the way to 2:30 without melting down. She fell asleep in my lap as the last guests trickled out. Very peaceful.

I am so relieved to have the party behind me. Now I can focus on making it through the next week of work without Matt here, then another week and we are Hawaii-bound.

And right now, my house is pretty clean, I've got enough ham to feed me for a week, and Thea is OUT. Peace reigns.

No comments: