Friday, July 1, 2011

Oh Canada




Today was Canada Day - and we had a big ol party at my friend and fellow Canadian Andrea's house. It was really the first time I'd seen everyone in a while since the routine of school ceased. That was great, but Canada Day is a bit bitter-sweet for me. I wish I could somehow gather up my plot of earth and move it across the border, sometimes. Part of that is political - I've never been a fan of the way the United States impacts the world. Part of that is about my children and their identity and what they value. I think Canadian values are different. And a big part is just that my own self-identity will always be that of a Canadian. I have a sweatshirt that has a canadian flag and (proud) in parenthesis below it. It's perfect. Subtle, yet poignant. I love it there. I miss it. Especially on Canada Day.

No comments: