Saturday, July 3, 2010

randomness


I love the randomness of summer - like yesterday, when I arrived at KBay and found my longtime friends Sam and Kevin lounging on the porch. Sam and Kevin live in Palmer now, but back in the day, we shared an illustrious career as servers in many of Anchorage's better establishments. It's funny to look at my friends and think how far we have all come in the past decade and a half. Like my friend Christine, who now has so many letters in front of and after her name, I can't keep track. Suffice it to say, if you are ill, she can take care of you. And I couldn't think of anyone more competent or dedicated. When I met her, we were both working at the Homer News for so little that our cars were held together with duct tape. Sam and Kevin are now acupuncturists, and have a whole-body approach to healing that is evident in everything they do. Every time I see them, I feel that warmth that comes from knowing someone for a very long time. It's that self-created family Alaskans seem to specialize in. We cover a year's changes in 10 minutes, share some laughs and head out on our way for another year. But the fact that we only see each other once in a long while doesn't matter. After all, it's family.

No comments: